10 IVF Financing Options
Once you've determined that in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment is your next step along the path to parenthood, you’ll want to determine how you’re going to pay for treatment – and you'll probably have more options than you realize!
- Insurance. Currently fifteen states mandate some form of fertility treatment coverage and it varies by state. The first place you can start is to see if your state is one that requires infertility insurance benefits. Even if your state doesn’t mandate fertility health insurance, your health insurance plan may offer some form of coverage.
- IVF programs. Many clinics offer discounted fees for course-of-treatment IVF programs, such as our Attain IVF® Flex Plans.
- Fertility Financing. Loans to help cover Attain IVF Program costs are available through Attain IVF's preferred fertility partner, CapexMD. Click here for details.
- Existing assets and investments. You may be able to use a home equity line of credit, take a loan against your 401K or other investment and insurance policy for infertility treatment financing.
- Credit card companies. Using a credit card to pay for treatment is another option. If your account is in good standing, you may want to contact your credit card issuer to request an increase in your line of credit (sometimes at a reduced interest rate) that you can use as part of your infertility financing plan. While there are no guarantees, it doesn’t hurt to ask!
- Family members. Don’t overlook family members who may be willing to loan you money – possibly with no interest.
- Fertility Grants. There are a number of nonprofit organizations that provide funding for patients who can’t afford fertility treatment, such as B.U.M.P.S., The Cade Foundation, and Fertile Dreams among others.
- Military families. Some clinics offer special rates to men and women actively serving in the military, as well as veterans.
- Fertility Drug Programs. Several fertility drug companies offer programs that make the cost of fertility drugs more manageable, including Design Rx by Fertility by Design, Ferring Pharmaceutical’s Heart Program by Ferring Pharmaceuticals, and Fertility Assist2 from Fertility LifeLines by EMDSorono. Members of our Attain IVF Flex Plans automatically receive an Attain® Rx Discount Card with discounts of up to 30-75% off prescription medications.
- Savings. And of course there’s always the opportunity to start saving now. It could mean delaying treatment, but with a well-thought-out budget, you may have the resources available sooner than you think.
Once you know that undergoing infertility treatment is your next step towards becoming a parent, having a solid understanding of the associated costs and being proactive about your fertility financing options will provide you with the information you need to make the best decisions possible.